
Term 3: Artists' Books - My Little Book of Jewels.
Symbolisation is a large component of this task and I believe that all aspects of my book of jewels will represent me to a great extent.
I have chosen my artwork to be a book in the form of a grand piano.
What do you think of when you picture a grand piano? Something grand, something shiny, something admirable, something musical, something classic, something smooth and slender, something flawless, something that stands confidently in the middle of the stage recieving the spotlight? The grand piano is merely an instrument, however, it's full of opportunities, in the sense that any melody can be played upon the beautiful keys. The melody can reflect upon the mood and emotions of the player. It is so free. However, how good you are playing the instrument depend on the person. Do you think people are just talented at playing a musical instrument? Yes, there are people that are recognised for being musical geniuses. However, ever wondered how much effort they put in? How many aimless hours they experiment on the musical instrument? Music is about perserverence. A fight within the individual wanting perfection. Perfection in the sense of perfect for themselves not others.
The piano represents me because I wish to always acheive my goals. I have strong determination and my perserverence gets me through a lot of things in my life. If I really want something, I can make it happen because I think that I can. Positive thinking. Positive outcome. The grand piano represents my inner self as well as my outer self. A grand piano stands confidently in the middle of the stage recieving the spotlight. I believe that I am the main character in my life and i'm allowed to recieve the spotlight because this is my life not anyone elses. A grand piano is also sturdy and relaxed and soft but sophisticated as well. You can play any note on the piano. Whatever you want to play. whatever melody I wish to play I can. Because it is my life. I make decisions and influence all aspects of my life. The emotions that come with it are mine not anyone else's.
So the grand piano represents my outer self, inner self and my life. My personal aesthetics.

1 comment:
Thankyou Gah Vin, not only have you captured the essence of the task in your few words regarding your personal symbolism, you have also offered words of wisdom to those who will read your blog. You are very special in that you grasp the deeper meaning of seemingly simple things. I am watching you put your philosophy to work as you grapple with time restraints and strive to articulate your personal aesthetic in the book pages. When you tell me you will do it, I know it will be so!
So proud of you!
ms h
Post a Comment